xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: Fangirl Moment

January 21, 2011

Fangirl Moment

Tuesday night, at Pitch-a-palooza, I had a major Fangirl Moment.  As I waited for the evening to begin, and got down to the very important business of fidgeting in my seat, I spotted Susan G. Wooldridge.

She was all ethereal, wearing an understated black outfit and a turquoise scarf.  She floated around the room hugging friends and saying only deep and meaningful things, I'm sure.

I leaned over to the woman on my right and whispered "There's Susan Wooldridge!".

The woman on my right moved one seat down.

So I leaned over to the woman on my left and tried again.  "There's Susan Wooldridge.  The author of Poemcrazy.  She's, like, right there.  Can you even believe it???"

"Who's Susan Wooldridge?"

"She's a terrific local poet and author.  If you haven't read Poemcrazy, you should.  Like now."

"What's her name again?"

"Susan Wooldridge.  Wooldridge with a 'd'.  Here I'll show you her latest book."  I whipped Fools Gold out of my purse.

"You have her book in your purse?"

"Yeah, I was sorta hoping she'd be here tonight.  I'm going to ask for her autograph afterwards."

The nice woman just blinked at me.

"I swear, I'm not a stalker.  I'm really a very normal person."

"I'm sure she appreciates enthusiastic fans like you."  The woman patted my leg.  Then she turned and talked to her husband.

At the end of the event, I scanned the room for Susan.  I walked around all casual, cool even.  Okay, not really.  But when I spotted her, I held all my nerdy Fangirlness to a minimum.

"Excuse me, aren't you Susan Wooldridge?"  I held up her book.

"Yes, I am." she smiled

"If you have a second, would you mind signing my book?"  I held out the book and a pen.

"I'd be happy to."  She sat and I sat near her, resisting the urge to read what she was writing over her shoulder.

"I met you at the Redding Writers Forum.  I loved Poemcrazy."

"Oh, that's where I know you from."  She handed the book back to me.

"Thanks so much for signing my book and indulging my inner Fangirl."

"My pleasure.  It never gets old, sweetheart."  And then Susan G. Wooldridge put her hand on my cheek and told me to keep writing.

Someday when I have a book of my own.  I hope to put my hand on someone's cheek and call them sweetheart and tell them to keep writing.

For now, I am entirely content to be Susan G. Wooldridge's #1 Fangirl.

P.S.-How awesome is Richard Simmons?  That guy slays me, absolutely slays me!

2 comments:

  1. I know you tried as hard as you could, but you ain't no "fangirl." Just not you, even with throwing your hands up on your face with fingers and mouth open wide! You know I know you, and you are the more poised type, settled, no prom queen drama in that girl. I do like seeing your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chris. I tried my hardest to quell my "fangirlness", but darn it, great writers make me all a-jitter!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.