xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: Richard's Door

June 15, 2012

Richard's Door

This week one of my tasks at the school was to help take pictures, called ‘snaps’ here, for their yearbook so that it’s ready before graduation in November.

Shooting headshots was fun.  I positioned them in front of their newly opened school, in front of the bricks and one of the bright blue classroom doors.  Their shy smiles and melty brown eyes met my lens and I fell in love with these kids.  Some of them were dressed in their school t-shirts and decided to come back for a second photo in their school uniform.  I love that they wanted to look their best for the yearbook, that they take pride in their appearance.

During a break, the students gathered around my computer to see their photos.  They laughed, they poked fun at each other and asked over and over again when I would print them out for a photo album.  I’m working on that last one, but there’s not really a camera shop in town, at least not that I’ve found.  Yet.  :)

As the students wandered off one student, a tall boy with a toothy grin stayed behind, sitting next to me.

Richard
“That door is my door.  I painted that door.”

“Which door?”

“The one in the photos.”

“I chose it because it was the nicest one.”

He grinned and stared at his shoes, as I flicked through the photos each one set against the backdrop of his door.

I love the pride and ownership the students have in their school home.  I love that they helped build it.  I love that the students are clearing a place for a rice paddy and a garden.  They own this school, perhaps not in the way we own things, but they own it in their hearts and I’m so grateful they’re sharing it with me for this brief window in time.

A few days later I was sitting in on a class.  The topic was "Having a Vision and  Mission for Your Life".  When the instructor asked for volunteers to share their vision and mission, Richard spoke up.

"I have a vision to be a peacemaker for Africa.  My mission is to open up an orphanage that's also a school."

I can just see Richard a few years down the road painting the doors on his own orphanage/school.  As for having a vision to be a peacemaker for Africa?  In my mind, he already is.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jenna. He is one of the students who was selected to write in the book, so you'll get to hear more of his story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm LOVING all these posts! You are such a wonderful writer... I feel I'm there with you. Sending your big hugs my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Tracy. I'm having an amazing time here and can't wait until tomorrow when I get to start writing with the kids. They amaze me every single day and I can't wait to help them begin telling their stories. I am so very blessed to be here and to have so much support from my family and friends like you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a heartwarming post. The blue door is bright and clearly makes the students feel good about their school and their ability to get something done. With the pride shown on his face, I am sure he will be painting doors on his own school someday. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Anne. He's just an astoundingly wonderful young person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very much enjoying g taking this journey with you and recalling my visit to Uganda last summer. Thank you for helping to tell the story of this beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe your hometown principal will let you paint your classroom door blue as way to connect your schools!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alicia, is there any way that Clark and I can help you publish/print the photos? Can you send electronically and we can print and FedEx back? Please let us know we would love to assist anyway possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Julie. What a sweet offer! Unfortunately, mail isn't reliable here. So what I'm planning on doing is printing them when I get back home and either sending them with someone who is coming over. There is also a chance I'll be returning in November for their graduation and will bring them then. :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.