xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: Mere Days Until Uganda!!!

June 1, 2012

Mere Days Until Uganda!!!

My trip to Uganda is nearly here and I can barely type this without jumping out of my skin with excitement.  I just can't believe that I get to write with kids at an academy in Gulu.  Life is so good.

This weekend I'll go to San Diego to cheer Terry on as he runs a half marathon. That crazy guy is running a half marathon each month during 2012.  And you thought I was nuts, right?  After San Diego, I'll be home for a few brief hours and then I'll leave for Uganda!!!  Sorry, all of those exclamation points are totally requisite right now!!!  Sorry, I'll stop.

!!!

No, really, I'm done now.

Wonderful things have happened since I last wrote you.  First of all, the Anderson Valley Post wrote a feature on me.  That post was picked up by my colleagues at the California Writing Project and the next thing I knew my little adventure was being shared with a variety of audiences on Facebook.

It leaves me gobsmacked to see so many people excited about this seed of an idea I had to go and help kids write their stories.  I truly feel called to this work and have been blessed by such an abundant outpouring of support.

Speaking of support, so far I've raised $1,020 of $4,000 for my trip!  I know I said I was done with exclamation points, but that felt worthy of one.  The money raised goes toward trip accommodations and expenses, but the best thing your money goes toward is publishing a book of the student stories.  I'd love nothing more than to raise enough money to give each student author a copy of their book.  Just the thought of it makes my heart pound.  If you'd like to make a donation on my behalf, please click here.  Some of you have also asked if you can post about my big adventure on Twitter or Facebook and my answer is a resounding YES, please share as you see fit.  :)

Thank you, Sara S. & Jeff W., Becca M., Jenni C., Katie S., Ed S., Julie H., Krystle J., Chris & Pat F., Jenna B., Jenny B., Linda B., Steve & Amy P., Marc S., Jill S., Joy G., Kim K., Nancy L., Dean & Yvonne B., Colleen W., Ed & Mary S., and Julie M.  I am humbled by your generosity and love.

As often as possible, I'm planning on writing about my trip and posting pictures here.  In fact, I've already written about my trip here and here.  Sharing during the trip will all depend on internet access and working electricity.  :)  I hope you'll follow along with me and continue to keep me in your prayers.

1 comment:

  1. I read the article about you in the Record searchlight this morning with great interest. My husband and I are from Palo Cedro. We will also be in Gulu, Uganda this month with Hope Alive! Would love to talk with you before you go, but realize you are probably swamped with preparations. We will be praying for you! To God be the glory!!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.