xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: Stolen Moments in the Sun

January 22, 2012

Stolen Moments in the Sun




Is there a better way to spend a day off than riding a bike?  The answer is no, no there's not.  When I ride on a holiday, I feel like I'm getting away with something.  I should be at work, but instead I'm out in the air, the sunshine glinting off my shifters and my legs propelling me along smooth, black asphalt strips of bliss.

On Monday, I showed a novice cyclist and her son a beautiful and mercifully flat trial that runs along the edge of Keswick Reservoir.  I love showing people trails they haven't ridden before.  I especially love showing cycling newbies that they can ride farther than they ever have before.  I got to do both last Monday with friend and her son in tow on a trail a bike.

The day was simply gorgeous.  I pulled on tights and topped my jersey off with armwarmers and gloves, grateful to leave my jacket in the car.  The California sun sparkled off the water and I absorbed its rays and sucked in great breaths of fresh air.  For all my friends trapped in drifts of snow, here's a little California sunshine from me to you.  Try to refrain from pressing your face up against the screen.


We rode along the old railroad track, now a smooth bike path.  We dipped into the cool darkness of the old train tunnel and yelped and hollered, letting our voices echo off the tunnel walls and bounce back to us.

The bike trail is cut from the side of mountains of rock and out of that rock scarlet flames of manzanita shoot forth.  Manzanita is such a resilient, hearty plant that I couldn't help but stop for a moment and admire its beauty.

We rode to the backside of Shasta Dam, a sight that always takes my breath away, this mountain of concrete holding back the pulsing waters of Lake Shasta.

image courtesy of usbr.gov
All told we rode 16 miles with the winter sun shining down on us.  As I pedaled toward the car I grinned, the cold winter air making my teeth hurt.  I couldn't stop grinning because I knew with every fiber of my being how lucky I was to ride in winter in this stolen moment of beauty in the sun.

10 comments:

  1. Ooooo! I love the look of that bike path through the tunnel :) And the firey branches of the Manzanita- gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun day! Lovely pictures too. Looks like you're having fun with your new camera!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having fun with it, Lynn. And I was really relieved when I dropped it from my handlebars and it still worked perfectly. Now it has a couple of character scratches. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, there's a bear who sometimes hangs out in that tunnel, but I think he's hibernating for the winter. It's an awesome tunnel, long enough to be dark in the middle for a few seconds. I love the manzanita, too. It seemed particularly red that day, like it put on it's best for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made for a nice mini-vacation from my desk...in the office...where I'm not having nearly as much fun, but I'm glad that you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, thanks for the taste of California sunshine. It looks warm and lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heidi, this part of the trail now extends from the Masher ride. So lovely. I'm curious to know what kind of weather you're riding in as of late.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to send a little sunshine into your office today, Hipster.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bleah, I'm not riding at all right now :( It's too cold for this wimpy chick to venture out on the bike, and I am avoiding the trainer. I have started doing yoga for now, but I'm already itching to get back out on the road. Looks like the trainer may end up being my friend after all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Lord, the first time I did the 100 Miles of Nowhere, I did it on a trainer. NEVER AGAIN. Yoga sounds like a great winter option. Good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.