xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: Conversations in Room 8

January 11, 2012

Conversations in Room 8

The last couple of days have been extra sweet in Room 8.  My little ones are happy to see each other, happy to be back at school, just happy in general.  Here are some of my favorite conversations from the last couple of days.

Conversation #1:

Me: You remember how to do this.  You use your fingers to partner up the number to see if it's even or odd.

Little One with Autism: I know it's in my head somewhere, but I can't find it.

Me: I know the feeling.

Little One: Can you help me find it?

Me: Sure.  Let me show you on your hand.

Little One: My hand will help my brain find the answer?

Me: Yep, I think so.

Little One: Oh good.

Conversation #2:

Mother of a Little One: How's my daughter doing?  Is there anything else we should work on at home?

Me: She's doing great.  She's reading well and doing well in math and writing.  And she seemed really happy to return to school yesterday.

Mother: Oh yes, she was very happy.  After three days of  vacation she said 'Mommy, it's time for me to go back to school because I can't remember the sound of my teacher and I don't want to forget her."

And then my heart melted into a huge puddle.

Conversation #3:

Little One: "Mrs. McCauley, I found my happy place."

Me: "I didn't know you'd  lost it.  Where did you find it?"

Little One: "It was in the box of pastels."

Me: "Wow!  Then I guess it's a good thing we're doing art today."

Little One: "I think I have art in my heart."

Me: I'm sure of it.

Conversation #4:

Little One: "Martin Luther King, Jr. was really brave.  It took a lot of courage for him to talk to all of those people about his dreams."

Me: "I agree."

Little One: "Especially since not everyone agreed with him."

Me: "Especially.  I bet you can be courageous like him, too."

Little One: "Maybe now I can."

Me: "Why now?"

Little One: "Because you put his words in my head and I have his big dreams in my heart."

Sometimes being a teacher is staggeringly beautiful.  And in case you need his words in your head and big dreams in your heart, here's Martin Luther King, Jr. himself.  I get chills every time I hear this speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smEqnnklfYs

4 comments:

  1. What beautiful words! This is truth, right here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Mrs. McCauley has art in her heart. Living vicariously through your stories of your little ones brings me to my happy place.

    This is so touching...and I haven't even viewed the video yet .

    I also get chills each time I hear the speech.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Out of the mouths of babes. They've really latched onto Martin Luther King, Jr.'s quote "Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." It's a beautiful thing to see them intentionally trying to navigate their disagreements with each other in loving ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Hipster, at Back to School night I tell parents that I have a Bachelor's of Arts in Liberal Arts. The fact that 'art' is listed twice in my degree is a good reminder that teaching is an art form. So, you're right, I've got art in my heart for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.