xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: 30 Days of Thanks: Day 30

November 30, 2010

30 Days of Thanks: Day 30



As I was getting ready for work this morning, I realized today was the last official day of this challenge I set for myself.  And I gotta tell you, it's bittersweet.

When I started this challenge, I felt like I did a pretty decent job being thankful for the big things like God, my house, my loved ones, my job, food to eat, etc.  But I felt like I missed out on so many little opportunities to be grateful.

And so I set off on day 1 to find something small, something I would normally not even notice, to be be thankful for.  And a funny thing happened, I found lots of little things to be thankful for.

And I found that to be true the next day.

And the next day.

And even the day after that.

Pretty soon I found myself jotting things down throughout the day, chomping at the bit to come home and drop them into that day's list.  I'm sure that nasty, negative, unfair, ugly things happened all around me this month, but for the life of me I just can't think of a single one.  My brain space is filled with a jumble of wonderful things I'm just dying to list.

And so on the eve of a new month, it's not surprising to me that today's list is long.  After this month I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that I have so, so much to be thankful for.  And that giving thanks for something, no matter how small, has made a big difference in my life.

Today I'm thankful for...

  • my hardworking husband

  • productive work days

  • warm jackets

  • outside recess

  • parent volunteers

  • my sweet students who just wanted to write and write and write some more

  • the senators who voted no today

  • burritos

  • blueberries

  • chivalry

  • a quiet house

  • morning prayer

  • Christmas music

  • conversations with my mom

  • singing with my class

  • the book The Velveteen Rabbit, even though it makes me cry every December

  • phrases my little ones write, like "clouds prickling in the sky"

  • laughing so hard I cried


and last, but not least,

  • you, dear reader.  You've been great company this month and I've loved hearing about all the things you have to be thankful for, too.

7 comments:

  1. I found myself feeling the exact same way. What a fun challenge. I found many of my friends complimenting me on my blogs... a strange feeling for me... I had no idea ANYONE read my blog, let alone men and women I truly respect! Wow. Thanks for this opportunity! I must say, if it weren't for you sharing your gratitude, I would have never jumped on board. Let's do it again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, I'm so glad you were up to the challenge. It was fun knowing you were along for the ride, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been loving your lists every day and I think I need to take up the challenge. Don't stop girl.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, I'm thinking I might have to implement Thankful Thursdays and post all the things I'm grateful for. It's a shift in perspective that I really want to keep and it's just so much fun to write about all the blessings in my life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could take up Thursdays. We could share our Thanks Thursdays with our links. Like Two Writing teachers SLice of life Tuesdays...
    http://twowritingteachers.wordpress.com/challenges/
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.