xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: Day In A Sentence: The Beauty We Love

January 2, 2011

Day In A Sentence: The Beauty We Love

I'm thrilled to be hosting Day In A Sentence this week.

Oh, you're new here?  Hi, I'm Alicia.  Don't worry, I'll sit by you at the lunch table.

You don't know what Day In A Sentence is?  It's okay.  I'll explain, but first you've just got to watch this real quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTFsUQZcSJU

You want to watch it a second time?  I did, too.  Go ahead.  I'll wait.

I've watched Coleman Barks read this poem several times and I can't stop chewing on the line "Let the beauty we love be what we do." I could chew on that line for a long time and never be hungry.  It's so nourishing, this idea of the beauty we love being what we do.

So here's the task for this week's Day In A Sentence: write a sentence about the beauty you love and how you manifested that today.  Leave your sentence, your name, and a web address (if you've got one) in the comments section and I'll release all of the sentences next Sunday.  That's it.  Simple, right?  And to think you were worried.

P.S.-If you have a minute or two, help me win a Bloggie.  Thanks!

15 comments:

  1. I love that line and this idea. I'm going to work on it -- whether I eek out a sentence or not. I'll probably be back to click on that video again (and again!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hippie, you've got all week to work on a sentence. You can do it! Also, you might like "Pure Water: Poetry of Rumi". Coleman Barks reads and Eugene Friesen is on cello. It is all kinds of wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely check it out. Rumi is a featured poet in a collection of poetry set to music by one of my very favorites, David Wilcox and his wife Nance Pettit. http://www.outbeyondideas.org/index.php?page=cds

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am chewing on this one, too. The mental images it evokes are there and then gone in my mind, the thoughts ephemeral and hard to contain. As I was writing this, my sentence was suddenly there - wow, that was kinda freaky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi, I chopped your comment in two pieces so I could save your sentence for the release day, but what you said about mental images being there and gone rings true with me, too. Isn't that the trick of writing, finding the right words before they elude us! Glad to know I'm not the only one who tries to grab them before they dissipate! And I'm glad your sentence came to you to share on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't start reading... let the beauty we love be what we do....tomorrow I promise to wake up and grab my guitar and play into the day..:)
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, yes, Bonnie. You are one of the people I thought of the first time I heard that line. Embrace that guitar and add some beautiful music to the world!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was a high school history teacher inner city schools for 34 years. I loved it and that's what I did, but could love it no more the last decade. That was too long not to be completely exhausted and burned out.

    Re the poet, his voice and presentation have as much song as do the words themselves. I can't play any instrument. But I am real good at putting a blade of grass between my thumbs and blow to make screeching sounds. Does that qualify?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carl, I've always wanted to learn how to do that thing with a blade of grass, so in my book that absolutely counts! Oh, and I grabbed your sentence and will keep hold of it until Sunday's release.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I give you mine in a little brown paper bag, but freshly picked from my own tree, homely but true. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Hippie, for the nudge to come here for a visit, close my eyes for a moment to ponder that loveliness, “Let the beauty we love be what we do." Dropped in the middle of my night, rippling out. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cr8df8,
    Homegrown gifts are often the most sweet. I plucked your sentence from your comment to release it Sunday. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh now you've done it! I'm feeling a poem about skipping stones with my brother rippling out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found you by way of Hippie, and have just nominated you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Amiable Amiable! And I'm so glad you dropped by in time to add your sentence for Sunday's release.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.