xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: The Windows Are Mornings and Evenings

July 26, 2010

The Windows Are Mornings and Evenings

Two nights ago That Laura and I went kayaking on Whiskeytown Lake.



I am a clumsy kayaker at best.  My fat little boat yawed back and forth as I slapped my paddle into the water and tried in vain to keep up with the other longer, sleeker vessels.  Truly it's a wonder Laura doesn't completely disown me out there.

We paddled out to Boulder Creek and then a little further around the lake.  The moon showed its milky, round face as the sun slipped from the sky.  The mountains changed from green to black and even the bright colors of the kayaks faded into shadows.  I watched the sun settle behind the mountains and for a second the lake was quiet.



I sat in my kayak, eating dinner, watching the moonlight stretch across the water.  The Color Green by Rich Mullins was the soundtrack in my head.  It is my absolute most favorite song ever on the planet.  You should listen to it right now.  Go ahead, I'll wait.

Rich Mullins was a beautiful writer and as I sat washed in moonlight, I thought of the first verse.

"And the moon is a sliver of silver


Like a shaving that fell on the floor of a Carpenter's shop


And every house must have it's builder


And I awoke in the house of God


Where the windows are mornings and evenings


Stretched from the sun


Across the sky north to south"



For all the times I accidentally bump into other boats, for all the times I paddle so much water into my kayak that I'm soaking wet, this is why I love kayaking on the moonlit lake.  I feel like I am looking through the windows inside the house of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.