xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: The Tables are Turning

November 8, 2008

The Tables are Turning

I am a pretty normal person.  I teach.  I ride my bike.  I watch tv.  I read.  I write.  And then I do it again the next day.  I love my husband and I have a wonderful group of friends.  That is my life and I like it.

Lately though, I've been finding myself at tables with these high caliber people.  For example, I was at a table with the director of The National Writing Project.  She is witty, poised, and apparently an avid ballroom dancer.  At that same table were regional directors, national speakers, and published authors.  And me.  I kept looking around in disbelief thinking how fortunate, if out of place, I was sitting at that table.

Today I found myself at a lunch with a group of women who are nothing short of amazing.  Their accomplishments include cycling the coast of California, opposing injustice in Darfur, and blazing trails for students with special needs.  These are women who should seriously consider adding superhero capes to their wardrobe.  I was listening to the conversations at the table, once again amazed that I was sitting with such a dynamic group of people.

I find myself surrounded by people who are smarter, more talented, and as a whole more compassionate than I am.  I know, I'm hoping some of it will rub off, too.  And I'm crossing my fingers that they will keep inviting me to their tables.

2 comments:

  1. You're at the table with these incredible folks because they're your peers. They're not smarter, or more talented, or more compassionate than you are; some of them may, though, have more experience. The thing is, you just have an overdeveloped sense of modesty!

    Love the new banner, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter, the check's in the mail for all the nice things you try in vain to get me to believe.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.