xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: Me & Lance

December 1, 2008

Me & Lance

Dear family and friends,
2009 is here! For me January is the starting line of another great season of road cycling.  I have to admit, I'm itching for the grip of Spandex on my skin and the glide of The Rocket kissing the white line.  It's going to be a great season and as with most great adventures, there are some big changes this year.

To begin with, I'm excited to be raising money for the Lance Armstrong Foundation.  That's right, I'll be riding with Lance.  By 'riding with Lance', I mean that he will be there, too, and I might catch a glimpse of his elbow or something through the throngs of other people who will reach the finish line way before me.  I know, Lance Armstrong's elbow.  I am so lucky.

In all seriousness, I'm honored to participate in the LIVESTRONG Challenge as a part of Team Fat Cyclist: Fighting For Susan because the time for furthering cancer research and funding is now.  During my first season I proudly rode for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and I feel this year is a continuation of that chapter.  It's time for me to stop just being concerned about the increase in cancer diagnoses.  It's time for me to do something about it.  And the something I do is ride my bike.  And by 'ride my bike', I mean fall a lot with some pedaling in between.

I'm training from December to July.  Then in the quiet morning hours of July 12th, The Rocket and I will be at the starting line of the San Jose LiveStrong Challenge.  As I ride, I will picture the brave faces of family, friends and students who have battled cancer and won.  I will also remember the brave faces of loved ones who fought with strength and, yet, did not win.  As my heartbeat keeps time, and my legs pedal beautiful circles for 100 miles, I'll ride with the knowledge that you and I are helping to increase the number of victories.

Please take a minute to pop over to my fundraising page to make a donation.  (https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=294743&supid=241282118).  You can donate online, make a check out to the Lance Armstrong Foundation, or give me cash.  I'm grateful for your generosity and support.  Thanks for partnering with me on this adventure.

Fondly,

Alicia

"The Lord gives me strength. He is like a shield that keeps me safe.  My heart trusts in Him, and he helps me.  My heart jumps for joy.  I will give thanks to Him.” Psalm 27:8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.