xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: Funny Money

May 6, 2009

Funny Money

It was one of those days.  Rainy day recess created the perfect storm of too much energy and not enough paying attention.  Lunch was a welcome break.  After some grown up conversation and deep breathing, I trudged back to my room, fingers crossed that the yard duty would give me a good report.  She approached.  I cringed.
"Your class is sweet." she said.

"Yes, they are."  I said, reminding myself.

"They adore you."

"It's mutual."  I chirped.

Even on bumpy days I could still say that with one hundred percent sincerity.  I do have the best job in the world and my time with these little ones is coming to an end quickly.   All rainy day toys were put away and my students were in their seats ready for the read aloud.  As I walked to the front of the class, several students piped up
"We made something for you."

"What did you make?"

"We made you money."



"Oh, wow.  That's a lot of money.  I'll go put it in my purse.  I'm going to Costco today.  Do you think I can pay with this?"

"No, Mrs. McCauley, it's funny money."

"Why did you make me all this money?"

"It's teacher week and you don't get paid enough."

Classroom books from the book fair: $73.

The pair of shoes I ruined yesterday on our field trip to the creek: $29.

Getting a raise from my students: priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.