xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: Why I Write

August 2, 2012

Why I Write

October 20th is the National Day on Writing. It seems a long way off, but as I prepare my classroom for a new group of young writers, there are two questions on my mind.  Why do I write?  And why do my students write?  On October 20th, writers, educators, students and all kinds of other people across the nation will answer one very simple and simultaneously complex question:

Why do I write?

Here's my answer.
  • I write because words are like air, if I don't inhale and exhale them, I will die.
  • It's fun.
  • I love to laugh at myself and make others laugh along with me.
  • I have the memory of a goldfish-writing helps me hold onto memories I don't want to lose.
  • Some stories are too painful to say out loud, but those stories find respite on pure white pages.
  • I like the way words feel in my mouth.
  • When writing, I can revise as many times as I want. When I talk, the words are just out there and can't be polished once they're free of my lips.
  • Writing helps me make sense of things.
  • Life is full of great stories waiting to be written.
Your turn.  Be daring and brave and tell what it is that compels you to write.

10 comments:

  1. And, God has given you the wonderful gift of eloquence along with being beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chris. I think you're partial. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I write for catharsis. I write for comfort. I write to communicate. I write get out the ugliness, and I write to let out the beauty that I should not keep for myself alone. I write because it is one of the most honest things a person can do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alright, I"ve been haunted by your question for a day now. So, in an effort to free myself from this curse, I will answer your question. I agree with both you and jennifer. I don't want to say, "I have to write," because I don't. But I feel like life is imploring me to write and to learn. Life implores me through a desire that I cannot resist....and so I write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen, the thing I love most about your writing is how honest it is right down to the very marrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just relieved you didn't say that you write to get your irritating friend to stop pecking at you about it. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so grateful there are great English teachers out there, like those that inspired me. You are changing lives by encouraging your students.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Ammon. I'm touched by your kind words. I love my job and my young writers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Alicia. You write straight from the heart, and that always makes for a meaningful read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I write for my sanity. I write so my voice is heard. I write so I can share others' stories.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.