xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: Six Bucks

June 3, 2009

Six Bucks

Tomorrow is the last day of school.  Each year it is bittersweet.  Saying goodbye to my kiddos and many of their parents is tough, but, oh, how I love, love, love summer followed by a fresh start every fall.

The last day of school is also tough for my little ones.  They, too, love summer, but don't want to leave our daily life together behind.  There are tears.  There are tight hugs around my legs and lots of tender I love you's.  And there are gifts.

I have received many lovely gifts throughout the years.  Bookmarks, photos, cards, bells, books, bike stuff, and much more.  It is the little things that mean the most to me.

Today one of my lovely families gave me flowers, a gift card to our brand new Trader Joes, and six dollars.  You heard me, six dollars.  I was a little confused by the last part and I'm sure she could tell because I do not possess a poker face.  At all.  So I her what the six dollars was for.  She smiled sweetly and said that since she is six, she wanted to give me six dollars of her own allowance.  I know she does chores to earn her allowance and I understood what a generous gift she'd given.  I was touched.  Later we agreed that she should think of something I could buy for the classroom with her money.

I can say with absolute sincerity that I love each of my students and I'm proud of all the ways they've grown.  Even the tough kids.  Maybe especially the tough kids.  Tomorrow I know my inept poker face will reveal my true feelings.  And that's exactly what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.