xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: Dear Little One,

September 8, 2010

Dear Little One,

Dear Little One,

Today I sat down next to you to see how your writing was going.  You were writing a letter to a friend.  You winked at me and told me you'd put one in my mailbox, too.  Actually, you haven't learned how to wink yet, but you blinked with purpose and I got your drift.

You stopped writing for a moment, cupped my face with both of your hands and said "I just love you, Mrs. McCauley."  And then you hugged my neck.  You smiled and I saw the window where you'd lost your first tooth.  I hugged you and left you to finish your letter.

After school I had to deal with an angry parent.  And then I had to deal with a student who is being untrustworthy.  I left school drained of all joy.

And then I thought of you.

I thought of your little smile, your little hands, and your big heart.  You are the reason I teach, little one.  Thank you for reminding me.

Maybe tomorrow I'll teach you how to wink.

Love,

Mrs. McCauley

4 comments:

  1. We need these little reminders of why we teach, don't we? We are certainly given plenty of chances to want to back out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Lynn, reminders like that are what make me go to school each day. I love my little ones and those tender moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just successfully made me cry. Beautiful post. Makes me love what I do. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, you are a gift to the children you work with. I'm glad you went with your heart this year. Oh and thanks for saying my post is beautiful. So is the little one I wrote it to.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.