xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: An Open Letter to the Girl Scouts of America

February 16, 2012

An Open Letter to the Girl Scouts of America

Dear Girl Scouts of America,
Let me begin by saying I'm a big, BIG fan. I love your uniforms and your sashes covered in bright patches for doing things that make our world a better place. And I'm not at all jealous of those patches, which make the nine patches I earned as a wee Brownie look unimpressive. Nope, not at all jealous. Or bitter.

In fact I have fond memories of dressing up in my Brownie regalia and singing about gold and silver friends.  Although to tell you the truth, my friends don't actually like it when I point out that they're only a silver friend.  That would have been a helpful verse.

Make new friends,

but keep the old.

Be sure not to tell the silvers

they're not gold.

Speaking of brownies, I love any organization that lets you start out being called a sweet treat. In fact it's a trend I think you should continue up the ranks. First you're a Brownie, then a Samoa, then a Thin Mint, etc., until you reach the pinnacle of your Girl Scoutness and become at long last a hallowed Tagalong, by far the most superior of all your cookies.

image courtesy of lightgreenstairs.com
It's your cookies that have prompted me to write this letter.  I love the cookies.  I ate some for breakfast this morning after a well-balanced dinner, of course.

I have just one teensy, tiny problem with the cookies: the serving sizes on the boxes are wrong.  I'm not sure who's in charge of the packaging, but they need to spend some time crunching numbers and crunching some cookies.  It is a well-known fact that a serving size of Thin Mints is one sleeve.  Equally well-known is the fact that a box of Tagalongs is a single serving in itself.

Please, darling Girl Scouts, speak to the powers that be and remedy this misinformation quickly.  I'm sure this extremely important act of public service will earn you a shiny new patch for your sash.

Sincerely,

Alicia McCauley, former Brownie

4 comments:

  1. Dear Alicia - Thank you for pointing out this egregious error. I think your serving sizes are much more accurate and I also believe that it is perfectly acceptable to consume a full serving for breakfast. Yours in former Browniness ~~ Hipster

    P.S. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out which of my friends were silver and which were gold. I also spent a bit of time worried about the verse of "The Bear Went Over the Mountain" that described him eating a batch of brownies. Even at that young age, I was preoccupied with common versus proper nouns and tried to reassure myself that he was eating the snack and not the Girl Scouts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Egregious error indeed, Hippie! I don't know the verse about the bear eating brownies. Man, that would have made for some sleepless nights! Funny story about silver and gold friends, we moved around a LOT when I was a kid, so I was always going to a new school and making new friends and then my new friends would become old friends when we moved and I'd make yet another batch of new friends. So I had multiple levels of friends like bronze, silver, gold, platinum, etc. I always wondered where the verse for that was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just devoured the first 1/3 of a box of Tagalongs in less than two minutes.
    Now I need the rest away! Dang them cute Girl Scouts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I've got my own Girl Scout cookie problems over here, Chris, so you're on your own.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.