xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: Dear Every Cyclist

April 16, 2012

Dear Every Cyclist

image courtesy of happetheory.com

Dear Every Cyclist in the World,

You delight me, absolutely delight me.  I'd kiss you all on the mouth give you all a nice hearty pat on the back if I could.

Yesterday That Laura and I went for a flat spin along the beautiful Keswick Reservoir.  It was to be a short ride, a ride just for the pure joy of riding.  It was a thing of beauty.  The sky was blue, mirrored by the water.  We set off in shorts and short-sleeved jerseys.

About five miles from the end of the ride, Laura rode over a freakishly pointy rock that bit into her rear tire.  The tire fizzled out and we pulled to the side to change the tube, meaning That Laura replaced the tube while I held stuff for her and said "Good job!".  I am excellent at holding stuff.

Here's the part where you come into the story, Every Cyclist.  Every single one of you who pedaled by asked if we had everything we needed.

We did.

Many of you also asked if we needed help.

We didn't.

But darn it all, Every Cyclist, if you didn't make my heart grow two sizes that day.  You are the best of humanity, I'm sure of it.  Offering to help is a foundational tenet of the Sacred Cyclist's Code.  Every Cyclist, it's with a big smile that I say you did our sport proud yesterday.

I look forward to returning the favor.

3 comments:

  1. I often think that cycling brings out the human in each of us. In a car, one can so easily close off to the outside world and you can choose to not interact. On a bike, you are so vulnerable on the road, so accessible to communicate. So we have to. And we do. I love that part about cycling, the interacting with other cyclists, pedestrians, and sometimes drivers too :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.