xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: Dreaming of Africa

December 21, 2012

Dreaming of Africa

It's been an incredibly sad and somewhat scary week to be a teacher.  I haven't been sleeping very much this week, three to four hours a night at the most.

Last night I slept soundly and dreamed that I returned to Uganda.  Uganda has been on my heart so much lately.  In truth Uganda and my children there have been on my heart since I stepped foot on the plane back to California last July.

I miss my beautiful Ugandan sons with such acuteness that often it's a physical ache in my heart.

In my dream I was on an airplane descending through the clouds.  When the clouds cleared, I looked out my window and Uganda was spread out beneath me.  But the landscape wasn't trees and dirt, it was a painting alive with color.  Blues and oranges and greens purples and pinks all teeming with life.

I recognized the artist of the painted land out my airplane window right away.  Somehow Tricia Kibler, the amazing artist who comes to my classroom and teaches my little ones (including her son) art lessons every month, had managed to paint the whole of Africa.  I love that things like that seem completely ordinary in dreams.

The splendor of the painted landscape took my breath away and in my dream I began to cry.

My alarm clock woke me and I was surprised to find myself wiping real tears from my eyes.  I stood at my bedroom window watching the snow fall, the white world a transfixing juxtaposition to the vibrant Africa of my dream.

I sent Tricia a message telling her about my dream.

Last night I had a...

Little did I know that just minutes before I'd messaged her, she'd begun to dream up a painting of Africa for me.

This afternoon she brought me a Christmas present and when I unwrapped the painting, I cried for Africa for the second time in the day, this time not just for the beauty of my dream, but for the very real ways God sends assurance that I will return.  As Christmas draws near, I'm especially grateful to love a God who speaks to my broken places in such tangible ways.

Dreaming of Africa by Tricia Kibler
Dreaming of Africa by Tricia Kibler

10 comments:

  1. This post was beautiful Alicia! I love how God works to put this on both your and Tricia's hearts at the same time. The painting is beautiful. Praying peace to your heart, sleep and rest for your body and Gods continued revelation to you about His beauty and restoration in a broken world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Juliette's comments! We serve a great God; praying that this rough time would bring your relationship with Him to a new level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Juliette. I receive your prayers gladly. Did you know that the time I spent in Uganda was a Restore Leadership Academy? So your prayer for restoration is especially poignant to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful painting. Merry Christmas - from a fellow teacher, thankful as well for the ones in my care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas to you, too. And I hope you have a restful break. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. During Christmas Eve worship, I looked down at my bracelet made by young women in Kampala and wondered what Christmas is like for them. I too have been dreaming of Uganda since my trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness!!! What an incredibly beautiful painting! What a special gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie, I hope your Christmas was full of beauty and special gifts as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.