xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: Not Just Yet

July 29, 2011

Not Just Yet

[caption id="attachment_4676" align="alignright" width="300" caption="image courtesy of vivaboo.com"][/caption]

I can feel it in the air,

I see it in the way the sun stays tucked under the covers just a little longer every morning.

I smell it the stores, in the waxy scent of crayons, their tips perfectly pointed inside pristine yellow boxes all lined up in wait.

It's in the scuffling of new shoes down the threadbare aisle of the shoe store.

The shoes, the air, the crayons, the sun are all in on the secret that a new school year is sneaking up on Summer.

As for me,

I'm staying up late to watch the moon rise, its ivory face peering down from an inky sky.

I'm picking breakfast blackberries, standing barefoot in my backyard and eating them straight from the brambles,

I'm languishing in long baths and drowning myself in good books read in bed.

I'm slipping through Wednesday morning traffic with my kayak piggyback on my car, both of us giddy to glide on the water.

The school year is sneaking up on me, inching up my spine and edging into my dreams.

But I'm in on a secret that the shoes, the air, the crayons, and the sun do not know.

Summer is ending,

But not just yet.

5 comments:

  1. beautiful,

    summer is vanishing, yet it is still in the air.

    lovely blog, hope to see you share your poetry with poets rally today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jingle. I look forward to poking around the rally and seeing what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very much enjoyed this poem!

    "I see it in the way the sun stays tucked under the covers just a little longer every morning."
    "The shoes, the air, the crayons, the sun are all in on the secret that a new school year is sneaking up on Summer."
    "I’m in on a secret that the shoes, the air, the crayons, and the sun do not know."

    Summer is ending,

    But not just yet."

    Crisp apples in a rich orchard! Great writing!.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.