xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: Cycling in June

July 2, 2011

Cycling in June

261.732 Miles June was a great month and I squeezed in as much cycling as possible in between traveling and the rain that just kept on coming!

100 Miles of Nowhere: On the first Thursday of summer vacation, I joined Team Fatty in the 100 Miles of Nowhere.  The idea of the 100 Miles of Nowhere is this: ride 100 miles on the shortest course you can come up with.  The registration fee went to LiveStrong, so it was an obvious yes for me.  Besides last year I took first place in the "32 Year Old Teacher/Writer Cycling In My Living Room In Redding" category last year.  How could I not come back for a second year?
I chose a relatively flat three-mile section of the river trail and I rode it out and back 17 times.  It was as much of an exercise in mental fortitude as it was in physical strength.  But that's kind of the point because when I think of my loved ones who have battled cancer, without exception they have all had mental strength in quantities I can only dream of.

So early that morning I set out in the good company of That Laura and our friend Mike.  I'm a pretty lucky girl to have friends who will do these crazy things with me.  The first few laps were boring, so boring that I wondered if I was going to make it.  Then I popped in a book I'd downloaded and I'm telling you, I think that's the secret of riding long distances.  The miles flew by and I was happy as a clam.

Until I crashed.  Wait, can you call it a crash if you just sort of fell over?  Probably not.  Anyway, I was having a great time until I fell over.  About 65 miles in, I was making the turn around on the out and back and turned too tightly and didn't clip out of my pedals in time.  I turtled myself and was relieved to see that nobody was around to see my graceful move.  I hopped back up with a bruised tush and a slightly more bruised ego and finished up the ride.  And wouldn't you know it, I took center podium in the "33 Year Old Teacher Who Only Fell Over Once" category.

20 Donors With a month left until my big ride, I'd like to say thanks to Adam & Suzy C., Anita J., Betty C., Chris F., Christine W., Heather F., Janice L., John P., Joy G., Kathy V., Katie L., Kelly B., Krystle J., Laura G., Lynn J., Marie P., Nick W., Sue H., and Tracy H. for donating to the LiveStrong Foundation on my behalf.  You've donated $660 on my behalf and I'm touched by your generosity.  Take this message that was painted on the River Trail to heart because you've done a beautiful thing this year by donating to LiveStrong.

$340 to Reach My Goal  If you'd like to make a donation on my behalf to help fund cancer research and treatment, please click here.  There are only 8 more days until my big ride in Davis, so if you've been waiting to donate, now's the time.  It's my honor to ride in support of and in memory of your loved ones.

I look forward to telling you all about my big ride later this month!

Fondly,

Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.