xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: 30 Days of Celebration: Day 14, Giggling with Gramma

June 29, 2011

30 Days of Celebration: Day 14, Giggling with Gramma

It's 4:19am and the house is quiet.  The TV is off.  No music plays on my iPod.  Although I've got the house to myself, I've been up all night with a serious case of the giggles.


My family reunion is hours away and I've been squirreling away my free minutes and using them to turn the recently found footage of my grandmother into a movie.  My hope is to make a copy for everyone in my family.


[caption id="attachment_4342" align="alignright" width="200" caption="Can you say 'dinner out'?"][/caption]


As I sifted through the footage, cut it apart and put it back together again, I found myself laughing right along with Gramma Betty as she recounted the story of buying her own engagement ring.  I was snorting out loud as she told the hilarious tale of how she and my grandfather got engaged.  Not to mention the story of how she convinced him to take her out to dinner by cooking chili night after night until he simply couldn't stand one more bite of it!


My grandmother was one smart cookie.  Hang on a sec, let me just make a note of that.  Chili for the next month.  Oh who am I kidding, Terry would fall over dead if I ever cooked anything for dinner.


So today I'm celebrating staying up late and giggling with my grandmother, delighting in the ease of her smile and the twinkle in her eyes.  I thought her laugh and her particular expressions were relegated to my faded memories.  She always joked that her sense of direction was far superior to mine and it's proving to be true because long after leaving this earth, my grandmother has found her way back to me.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the laugh and the cry, cuz. And in case I am too overwhelmed with feeling, thank you in advance for the video. She seems to be all I can think of lately. It'll be nice to hear her voice, her laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so very welcome. I'm humbled and grateful to have found the footage and to be able to share it with everyone. I, too, find myself thinking of her often and watching the movie makes her feel so near. To quote my mom, I can't believe she was ours, and I'm so glad she is ours still. Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.