xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: 30 Days of Celebration: Day 8, A Quiet Sanctuary

June 13, 2011

30 Days of Celebration: Day 8, A Quiet Sanctuary

I worked in my classroom for a few hours today.  What?!?  You worked in your classroom on the second week of summer vacation???  Are you OUT OF YOUR MIND ?!?

Quite the opposite, in fact.  I was very much in my mind, alone with my thoughts in my classroom.  During the school year, I'm never alone in my classroom.  In addition to the 30 little ones, there are my wonderful parent volunteers.  Before and after school my colleagues are always popping in and then there are, of course, my former students, my little angels who drop by after school to see if they can help.  Hear me out, I love my little ones and my parent volunteers and my colleagues and my former students, but every once in a while it's great to be in my classroom ALL BY MYSELF.

Wanna know how many people I saw at my school today?  2.  And of that pair, wanna know how many of them came into my classroom?  0.  I spent a precious three hours in my room organizing my files, digging into the new language arts program and preparing my lessons for the first couple of weeks of school.

Which brings me to the grand finale of my party for one.  I had the workroom all to myself.  Can we have a moment of silence for such a rarity?  I ran both copiers AT THE SAME TIME.  And while my copies were running, I used the cutting board and then the laminator.  Then I put on my brave face and had a serious battle with the scanner.  The scanner put up a good fight, attempting to eat several of my papers, but in the end I outsmarted it, surely a first.

I had every machine at my disposal.  I was a copying, cutting, collating dynamo!  I didn't have to wait in line even once.  When I ran out of paper, there was a white gleaming tower of it right next to the copier.  The tower of paper almost reached the ceiling.  Oh, beautiful stack of clean crisp paper, how I love thee.

So today I'm celebrating blissful quiet time to think, to prepare, to organize my thoughts and take a moment to breathe.  I hope you find a quiet sanctuary somewhere in your day, too.

2 comments:

  1. I had a day like that near the end of the school year, and it was amazing! In just one morning of solitude, I entirely caught up on my grading, planned a lesson for the outdoor classroom, and cleaned up my desk. It was awesome, definitely something to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the classroom as sanctuary is something I often overlook or don't have the opportunity to appreciate. I'm so glad you had a day to enjoy the peace and quiet, too.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.