xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: 30 Days of Celebration: Day 12, San Francisco with Gramma

June 25, 2011

30 Days of Celebration: Day 12, San Francisco with Gramma


Yesterday I finished up the Technology & Writing Institute and flew to San Francisco where I would take a connecting flight to Seattle.  When I landed in the S.F., I grabbed some dinner and wandered to my gate only to discover that my flight had been delayed an hour.  An hour isn't much, so I plopped down on the floor by an outlet, eager to use this time to edit some of the footage of my grandmother.

I hit play and her voice streamed through my headphones, as if we were sitting in her living room chatting just like old times.  I flicked through the footage to the place where I'd last left off and was elated to find that my grandma's next story was about her move from Texas to San Francisco when she was a young woman.  She talked all about her first job and how much she loved the city, the very city I found myself in at that very moment.  As I sat listening to her stories, I couldn't help but feel she was there with me.

Every now and then I'd peek up at the people around me, families laying down and sleeping, weary from a day marred with delays.  I remembered the time Gramma and I were delayed in LAX.  The airline gave us food vouchers.  Reasonable people spent their vouchers on dinner, but we spent our vouchers on snacks for the plane and, of course, ice cream cones.  What can I say-we were both dessert before dinner kinds of people.  Life is short, so terribly short.

So today I'm celebrating divine moments when God uses His tender hand to orchestrate things so that I, a lonely traveler, could spend an hour in San Francisco with my grandmother as my guide.

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to one of those moments you talk about. Thank you for making me think they can happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy, just wait-they happen in the most surprising times.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.