xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: NaNoWriMoDontKnow

December 7, 2009

NaNoWriMoDontKnow

National Novel Writing Month was a blast.  I hit my 50,000 word goal ahead of schedule and even sort of liked parts of what I wrote.  So, now the question is what to do with that monstrosity of words.  Here is my three pronged plan:

1) Let it steep for awhile and not touch it at all.  The benefit of this is that I can gain a little perspective.  I've been away from it for a little bit and these are the things that are rising to the surface for revision.  I think I need to switch parts of it from third person to first person.  I need to change some character names.  I'm also starting to see areas where I can expand.

2) Read the whole kit and caboodle.  Out loud.  Gulp.  It turned out to be 100ish pages.  So, later on this month when Terry goes on a business trip, I'll print the thing out and read it all in one go.  It doesn't sound appealing to me either, but it has to be done.

3) Keep writing.  I'm in the throes of NaBloPoMo, National Blog Posting Month, which requires me to post here daily.  It also keeps the old writing noodle nimble so that when Christmas break arrives, I can jump back into my novel and start the real work.

Many of you have asked whether or not I will venture out into the big land of publishing.  I don't know.  Right now that sounds absolutely terrifying, but we'll see if December will bring me some progress on the page in addition to the lump of coal in my stocking.

1 comment:

  1. Me too! One challenge and then the next. I love the email NaNoWriMo, Chris Baty sent out focused on the Now what? question. I am just leaving it and moving on for now...
    I loved the comaraderie and new buds that shared the journey with me...and now...NaBlogPoMo...
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.