xmlns:og>='http://ogp.me/ns#'> Pedals & Pencils: Mrs. Mcmahoomei

December 10, 2009

Mrs. Mcmahoomei

As I was sitting at my school computer today typing up some of the beautiful imagery my little ones had written in their winter poetry, I overheard the after school program tromp into the pod.  Usually I shut my door when they arrive so that I can work in a little bit of tranquility, but today I overheard a conversation between one of my kids and his friend.  It went something like this:

"I can spell Mrs. McCauley's name."

"You can?  It's looong."

I leaned in and heard my darling little guy list a string of letters.  I walked into the space where they were working and crouched down near him.  I once heard a student say her eyes were brown like horses.  Well, this little guy has those kinds of eyes, deep brown in one light, golden brown in another.  Horse eyes for sure.  I told him I'd heard him spelling my name and I wondered if he could do it again.  He smiled the windowed smile that is the hallmark of first grade and started spelling.

"M-c-m-a-h-o-o-m-e-i."  he pronounced.  "Did I get all of the letters?"  He looked up at me, his eyes beaming from all that effort.

"You got most of them."  I patted his back

"Did I get enough?"

"Yes, honey, that's definitely enough."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.